It’s important to be open and transparent about how we spend money and where that money comes from. That’s why we share information about our funding and the ways in which we will use donations.
For every £1 we spend (excluding retail costs), approximately:
- 92p goes on working with children and young people
- 3p on governance and pension costs
- the remaining 5p on raising the next £1
For every £1 we spend, approximately:
- 58p comes from grants and fees
- 22p comes from trading, including from our shops
- 14p comes from donations, including gifts and wills
- 6p comes from investments and property
We use your money to support children all over the UK through our services, campaigns and research.
In 2021-22 Barnardo’s and partners reached 357,276 children, young people, parents and carers.
- 82,442 people through one-to-one support
- 220,958 through our 71 children’s centres and family hubs
- 53,876 through our school-based programmes
To find out more about how your donation makes a real difference to young people in the UK, see our latest annual report.
Campaigning and research
It’s vital that we speak up to help give young people the best chance in life. To do this, we spend money on campaigning to help change policies and raise awareness of issues affecting children and young people.
We also spend funds on research to help us understand how best to support them. We publish our research and reports so that we can all benefit from them.